Re: [tycho-user] p2 update question

Hi Krzysztof,

> We hope you can help us with a problem with updating a specific
> feature of our product.
>
> We have a feature based product, built with tycho, which also fetches
> some features from another repository, also build with tycho, being
> maintained/developed separately. This one features an update-site,
> providing a couple of features. So from our product’s perspective this
> is a kind of “third party dependency”.
>
> Now we want to implement the possibility to specifically update these
> features in a headless way via p2. The features are actually only a
> subset of the features, our product consists of.

Hey Markward,

I'm not sure if I guessed it right, but it looks like you have:

your product (P)
+ your product feature (A)
+ external dependency feature (B)

and you want to update (B). If that's what you're trying to get, then I
am afraid it is not possible, because your product P contains a well
defined version of B.

What I think would be the best here, is to build your product P with
feature A only, and then install into it B, and ship this composition.
P2 about dialog would show that you've installed:

your product (P)
+ your product feature (A)
external dependency feature (B)

as you can see, B is no longer a part of A, so it can be independently
changed/updated.

Let me know if this is the case.

I think what you describe is exactly our situation.
Feature (B) is indeed specified as a dependency of our feature based product. I think this makes it "part of the product"?

Actually the features we want to update are also produced by ourselfs,so we are pretty flexible when searching a solution.
I think we could manage to automate the inclusion/installation of these features during our product build, assuming there is a nice tycho-plugin/-buildstep for this operation :-).

Although we would have to see how we can deal with that from within eclipse ide, when starting the client for dev/debug.

The features actually carry translation-sets for our product and the motivation to pack them into separate features was to be able to update this specific translation part of the product via p2. Honestly we did not succeed in making our whole product updateable until now, althoug I personally would really love this ability, but this is a different story.

Would it also be a solution to pack the language features into the product and use an update-site containing the whole product and then update only one feature? Or would this imply to update the whole product?

Markward

Back to the top