[tycho-dev] Regression(?) when moving to Tycho 4.0.0: "considered" POM dependencies no longer transitive

Hi all,

I am currently trying to upgrade to Tycho 4.0.0 (from 3.0.5) and noticed the following change in behaviour when using pomDependencies=consider:

- My eclipse-plugin project org.example.plugin has POM <dependency> on org.example.library to satisfy some Import-Package.

- My eclipse-feature project org.example.feature simply has a <plugin> dependency on org.example.plugin in its feature.xml.

This results in the following error with Tycho 4.0.0:

[ERROR]   Software being installed: org.example.feature.feature.group 0.0.1.qualifier
[ERROR]   Missing requirement: org.example.plugin 0.0.1.qualifier requires 'java.package; org.example.library [1.0.0,2.0.0)' but it could not be found
[ERROR]   Cannot satisfy dependency: org.example.feature.feature.group 0.0.1.qualifier depends on: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; org.example.plugin 0.0.0

With Tycho 3.0.5, this does not happen.

As a workaround, I can add the POM <dependency> on org.example.library also to my org.example.feature project, but this feels wrong: The feature does *not* itself depend on the library, only the plugin does.

I hence wonder whether this change in behaviour is really intentional or rather a regression.

(FWIW, this happens with both -Dtycho.resolver.classic=true and false; as expected, the former fails eagerly, whereas the latter only fails when org.example.feature is built.)

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas Sewe | #CallMeByMyFirstName | sewe@xxxxxxx | +49 152 56342856