[smarthome-dev] The future of the ESH Designer

Hi ESH devs,

this is a request for comments related to the future of the ESH
Designer. Its packaging currently is in a separate repository [1]. It
was only minimally maintained recently and really would need some
love, hunting known bugs and updating the documentation.

At the same time, the Language Server Protocol really is gaining
momentum, being supported by many of the "cool" editors now. So it
would on one hand be nice to also have LSP support for our DSLs, and
on the other hand it could have significant impact on the future of
our current Designer.

So my proposal would be to move towards providing LSP support for the
DSLs in ESH. It would need an Xtext upgrade [4] and some
yet-to-be-done voodoo to actually generate the LSP stuff with Xtext in
our build and integrate them into our runtime.

With that, we could limit the "official" DSL editing support to this,
i.e. drop the current Designer and NOT provide our own standalone one
anymore.

There already is a VSCode implementation for openHAB [5] that would
just need to be connected to the LSP backend [6] on order to really
understand the grammar, which could be the first example. But of
course there might be others driven by the community or by some
commercial solutions.

What do you think? Does this direction make sense from your point of view?

Cheers,
Simon

[1]: https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome-designer
[2]: https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol