[science-iwg] Use of LGPL

All,

I am pleased to let everyone know that this morning the Board passed the following resolution.

Resolved, The Board recognizes that the Science Top-Level Project is forced to use LGPL-licensed dependencies because of the nature of their community. Therefore, the Board unanimously approves the use of the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 2.1 for dynamically linked Java-language third-party components distributed by projects under the Science Top-Level Project. The EMO will provide guidance to the projects to ensure that downstream consumers are aware that any such Eclipse Science projects contain LGPL 2.1-licensed components.

Please note that Science projects can request the use of LGPL-licensed prerequisites written in C using the process described in this policy:
https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/LGPL_API_Policy.pdf
Furthermore, where a component meets the definition of a "works with" (e.g. optional) dependency it may also be under the LGPL.
https://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.
I realize that this does not provide everything that was originally requested, but I hope you agree that this is a significant step for the Eclipse Science community.
--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top