[science-iwg] Python Scripting in Eclipse

Hi all,

Back at Eclipsecon France we ran a workshop to highlight the cool ways you can start to script Eclipse with Python & EASE. Folks were up an running with Python doing all sorts of fun and crazy stuff in no time. We had some great feedback and since then we've made some updates, including getting it all to work with Neon.

The workshop materials are available for early adopters who would like to give it a whirl(on Mars or Neon). https://github.com/jonahkichwacoders/EASE-Python-Examples

The tutorial walks you through how to use Python scripts to:

1. Automate Tedious Tasks
 - autogenerate readme.md files in all workspace projects
 - generate Eclipse markers for code clean up

2. Quickly Extend Eclipse
- dynamically add a button or menu item to instantly add functionality
- create your own macro e.g. to convert 'private' keyword to 'public' for a given text selection

3. Integrate Python Libraries
 - Use the numpy library with the Ease charting module to perform plot operations
 - Use Python file reading libraries to populate the data in an Eclipse JFACE list viewer (my favourite example)

4. Share Functionality
 - use scripts to share Eclipse preferences between users
 - demonstrates how you can run scripts from the command line to manipulate the workspace

Note, we are working towards integrating this with EASE once the necessary IP checks for Py4J are complete, but don't let that stop you from trying out. Feel free to provide feedback on ease forums, here or even just email me.

Following on from the conference, there are some pretty exciting things happening with EASE, Py4J and ECF, so watch this space for more powerful functionality to come.

Tracy

Back to the top