Re: [science-iwg] About java-python integration

The GPLv3 license is a problem because in my narrow reading of the license, aggregation of GPLv3 libraries makes the entire product GPLv3.  GPLv3 is not compatible with the EPL.

Personally, I stay away from GPLv3 for anything that I ever intend to release.

For details: https://eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#GPLCOMPATIBLE

Are the Eclipse Public License (EPL) and the General Public License (GPL) compatible?
The EPL and the GPL are not compatible in any combination where the result would be considered either: (a) a "derivative work" (which Eclipse interprets consistent with the definition of that term in the U.S. Copyright Act ) or (b) a work "based on" the GPL code, as that phrase is used in the GPLv2, GPLv3 or the GPL FAQ as applicable. Further, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where source code under those licenses are both the same source code module.

Based upon the position of the Free Software Foundation, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where linking exists between code made available under those licenses. The above applies to both GPL version 2 and GPL version 3.

_Christopher