From: science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin Hammitzsch
Sent: 11 May 2016 16:34
To: Science Industry Working Group
Subject: Re: [science-iwg] Thoughts on GitHub archiving guide (for DOIs)?

Hi Jay,

From my limited point of view Zenodo is a great free service to get DOIs quickly for whatever you want. This works for software too.
Especially the GitHub integration makes things easy.

However, summarized you get a DOI for a ZIP file with code and/or with other stuff which is of unknown quality. Furthermore, the DOI landing page isn't really under your control and the related ZIP file is somehow decoupled from the project.

So, you just get a DOI. Nothing more. That's it. This is different than getting a DOI e.g. for a paper published in a topical journal that has a high reputation. The Science WG community and other Eclipse communities should ask themselves what they want to achieve with minting a DOI to a software release (release not ZIP file).

I think, the Eclipse Foundation should either partner with GitHub and Zenodo to improve the current solution or to implement a solution on it's own to allow far better integration with the projects and to create something that can be compared to a journal which nowadays are only websites and other stuff around a lot of PDFs with DOIs (simplified speaking).

I'd be happy to assist to get things going  ...

Cheers,
Martin