Are there others that people on this list have found particularly useful? (e.g. iPython/Jupyter etc?)

Thanks,

Scott

On 4/21/2016 9:36 AM, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
Hi Scott,

This seems like a job that can equally well be tackled with R.

For the fastest and most powerful data manipulation framework, have a look at data.table:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/data.table/index.html
https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/wiki

Disclaimer: one of the data.table core developers works at Open Analytics.

Best,
Tobias

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Lewis" <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: science-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:28:17 PM
Subject: [science-iwg] tools for data import
Question:

I'm working with some non-profits that are interested in doing analyses
on datasets from a number of sources...e.g. certainly sql dbs, nosql
dbs, but also lots of data sources that are represented as csv
files/simple tables.    A tedious and time-consuming reality is that
since these are from different orgs, these csv files are not formatted
the same way (wrt missing values, column types, delimiters, encoding,
etc) that it's often necessary to do a fair amount of trivial
'massaging' of the data so that it can be imported into a db.

I've been working with Python and Pandas csv library, but I'm curious
what tools/tooling folks are using or recommend for similar kinds of
data import problems.

Thanksinadvance,

Scott