[science-iwg] tools for data import

Question:

I'm working with some non-profits that are interested in doing analyses on datasets from a number of sources...e.g. certainly sql dbs, nosql dbs, but also lots of data sources that are represented as csv files/simple tables. A tedious and time-consuming reality is that since these are from different orgs, these csv files are not formatted the same way (wrt missing values, column types, delimiters, encoding, etc) that it's often necessary to do a fair amount of trivial 'massaging' of the data so that it can be imported into a db.

I've been working with Python and Pandas csv library, but I'm curious what tools/tooling folks are using or recommend for similar kinds of data import problems.

Thanksinadvance,

Scott

Back to the top