Re: [science-iwg] Top Level Project update

Thanks Mike! Definitely understood.

Let us know how we can help. If you need concrete examples or anything we can probably provide them very quickly.

Jay

On Apr 20, 2016 3:47 PM, "Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2016-04-20 03:34 PM, Jay Jay Billings wrote:
I think we all know that approval is not guaranteed. However, if you are passively warning that you think the proposal will fail, then please feel free to be explicit about that.

Andrea and I are definitely going to try our best to get it approved. But we think that there is certainly a significant risk that it will not.

The LGPL has always been problematic for Eclipse. (And we're not the only ones. The Apache Software Foundation doesn't allow LGPL either, for the same reasons that we don't.) In the two instances where there has been any use of that license in prerequisites (Polarsys, LocationTech) we were funded by the working groups to set up separate forges, under a separate brand.

A blanket allowance for LGPL within the eclipse.org forge will set a new precedent for Eclipse, and one which the Board will certainly ask a lot of questions about.

All that said, there are good pragmatic reasons to support this specifically for the Science community.