[science-iwg] Eclipse Visualization & Treez

Hello everyone,

I found the Eclipse Visualization project and contacted Jay a few days ago. He proposed that I follow this list, introduce myself and tell you about some projects that might be
of interest for Eclipse SCIENCE:

Treez provides a set of Eclipse plugins for the creation of (scientific) graphical user interfaces
that are based on trees:
https://github.com/stefaneidelloth/treez

I've spent a lot of time on the question which plotting library to use for the 2D plots in Treez. JFreeChart and some other popular tools are not compatible to the EPL license. The rest of the Java tools I could find did not have build-in support for SVG export, which is one of my requirements. In summary, the plotting capabilities of Eclipse/Java have been some kind of disappointment for me. Therefore I decided to write
a Java wrapper for d3.

javafx-d3 allows to use the powerful d3.js JavaScript library with JavaFx:
https://github.com/stefaneidelloth/javafx-d3

Currently I spend my free time on writing some GUI elements that allow to set plot properties like symbol colors, minor tick size and so on. An already existing plotting tool that gave me great inspiration for that task is Veusz:
http://home.gna.org/veusz/

With other words, I am rewriting some functionality of Veusz in Java/Eclipse to implement a plotting window feature for Treez.

Another visualization project that might be of interest for you is Dex by Patrick Martin:
http://www.dexvis.com/doku.php

The execution and evaluation of batch jobs is also a very exciting field for me. Once the plotting window feature of Treez is finished, I will focus on the execution of batch simulations/studies. I am already able to specifiy parameter ranges ("sweep-studies") and plan to implement "probe-studies", "sensitivity-studies" and "probability-studies" as well. The last feature is inspired by monte carlo tools like CrystalBall:
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/crystalball/overview/index.html

If all that sounds interesting for you, please feel free to reuse the code of my projects. I am looking forward to hearing about the progress of Eclipse SCIENCE and might take part in some of
your future discussions.

Finally a few words on my background: I previously worked at ISFH
(Institute for Solar Energy Research Hamelin, Germany) where I created tools for the simulation of solar cells with SPICE and FEM (Comsol Multiphysics):
http://www.isfh.de/institut_solarforschung/spicegui.php?dm=1&_l=1
http://www.isfh.de/institut_solarforschung/cobogui.php?_l=1

Now I am with the Fraunhofer ISI and LEEN in Karlsruhe and develop software for the simulation of energy systems, energy demand forecast and the management of
measures in energy efficiency networks:
http://www.forecast-model.eu/forecast-en/index.php
http://leen.de/en/

Sunny regards,