[science-iwg] FW: January - New Eclipse Project Proposal

Hello,

Please find below a message from Jonah and Peter about a new open source project being planned taken from the dawn source code called January.

I think this is an exciting development which will add a hugely useful idea; that of a numpy-like nD-array, to the Java community. They are entering into the process of IP checking and have already reduced January to have minimal dependencies. Specifically from their project page:

All of the dependencies of the initial contribution are libraries that are already part of Eclipse ecosystem in Orbit:

org.apache.commons.math3

org.apache.commons.lang

org.slf4j.api

org.junit

This means that for the first time commercial companies and research organizations will have a common way to do mathematics like this in Java. It will eventually lead to disparate codes becoming interchangeable and/or interoperable, with the proviso that they choose to adopt a nD-array-like format for their data. We have all seen how powerful this idea has been for the python community and although there is more work to do, it is a great start offering some really useful/powerful features.

Well done guys! And thanks! :)

Matt Gerring