Re: [science-iwg] Debrief Maritime Analysis Workbench

Hi Ian,

Ptolemy II is a great framework indeed. The book describes it in detail, including most of their "models of computation" (MoC).
Remark that if you're mainly interested in applying it for scientific workflows, the 2 main MoCs of interest are the process networks and the event driven ones. These have been applied in Passerelle, the predecessor of Triquetrum.

Also, as Matt explained, Triquetrum builds on Ptolemy II, and will provide an RCP-based Ptolemy model editor.
But a second line of work in Triquetrum is rather independent of Ptolemy, focusing on reusable Task-based APIs and services.
These could be driven from workflows or from other things, like direct user-triggered actions in a GUI.

My hope for new projects in the Science group would indeed be that we collaborate on defining and providing reusable APIs and libraries, and would also apply them in the specific final applications.

DAWNSci for loading datasets and manipulating them, would be a first option already, and is available.

Triquetrum is just starting up, and the initial contribution is still being prepared. There is the code base of its predecessor, Passerelle, to start with, but there are no constraints at this moment to evolve/improve to whatever is relevant for the Science-related projects. And it would be great to be able to align with new projects from the start.

So when you are doing your design, it would be interesting to exchange requirements and ideas and see if/how we could integrate your needs in the Triquetrum APIs, so they could be of use for you.

enjoy your holidays,

erwin