Re: [science-iwg] Debrief Maritime Analysis Workbench

Hi all,
thanks for taking an interest.   Whilst Debrief is relatively mature
(20 years old, sitting on Eclipse since 2005) - it really is a niche
application, focussed on narrow analysis problem (the "forensic
analysis of trials and exercises by ships, submarines & helicopters at
sea").  But,  if you're interested in investigating how Debrief has
approached some common analysis/replay challenges you could learn
quite a lot in a short time by watching the two YouTube videos linked
from the home page (http://www.debrief.info).

My approach to Jay was to determine if the community could/should have
a role in a standalone capability I'll be developing for analysis of
ad-hoc collections of time-series data.  I'm hoping that by making the
software "dimensionally-aware" it can logically offer sensible
operations to selected data series (adding two length series to get
another length series, dividing a length series by a time series to
get a speed series).  I'll then be incorporating the capability into
Debrief for my analysts - but think the analysis capability is most
likely to "have legs" if it's developed outside the Debrief
application with suitably accommodating license(s).

After learning more about your community I can see there is already
the DAWN environment.  The Triquetrum project also appears to provide
a great set of capabilities.  So, it appears I should persevere with
"prior works" research before re-inventing my wheel.

Thanks in advance for any steering/feedback you're able to offer.

cheers,
Ian

--
Ian Mayo