Re: [science-iwg] Triquetrum Meeting Notes

Hi Folks,

I was the person that dropped in toward the end of the conference this morning. My apologies for not introducing myself on the conference but I didn't wish to barge in. I'm Scott Lewis [0], project lead of the ECF project [1].

My intention for joining was to see if I could be of some help with supporting the science wg projects.

First, it appears from the notes (OSGi and 'service layer') that ECF might be of use for the integration of science wg projects. Specifically, ECF implements the OSGi R6 Remote Services (RS) specification [2], and RS may be useful given the science wg's use of/needs for inter-process communication (e.g. client-server). Our impl of the RS specification is protocol/transport agnostic, allowing a OSGi-standardized separation between the service layer and the communications/transport layer. Additionally, we already have multiple distribution and discovery provider implementations, and it's quite easy to create/use new providers [3]. Finally, there are orgs that are developing products on ECF RS.

Another area of potential interest is the work I've recently done on making it possible to use 'java-only' OSGi services (and remote services)...i.e. the ability to use OSGi services without running an entire OSGi framework. I'm working on creating a tutorial as we speak, but there is a note describing the work here [4].

I also wanted to a willingness to help/support the science working group projects, specifically with the use of ECF, of course, but also just as an experienced > 10 years) mature EF project lead. So please let me know if I can be of help...either with technical/usage/integration help or with EF dev process, release engineering, IP, conventions, etc.

Scott

[0] http://composent.com/
[1] EF: https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/  github: https://github.com/ECF
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project#OSGi_Remote_Services [3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tutorial:_Creating_a_RESTful_Remote_Service_Provider