Re: [science-iwg] New viz project follow up

Hello,

I already wrote this to Jay to bring in my image library experience.

As an image lib I would highly recommend ImageJ (public domain) and (or) it extension ImageJ2:

http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

which is the fastest Java imaging library around.

ImageJ2 (BSD):

https://github.com/imagej/imagej/

is a redesign of ImageJ with a more flexible data model using ImgLib2:

http://imglib2.net/

"ImageJ2 is a new version of ImageJ seeking to strengthen both the software and its community. Internally, it is a total redesign of ImageJ, but it is backwards compatible with ImageJ 1.x via a "legacy layer" and features a user interface closely modeled after the original.......ImageJ2 completely isolates the image processing logic from the graphical user interface (UI), allowing ImageJ2 commands to be used in many contexts...."

Please note that ImageJ1 is still actively developed by it’s developer Wayne Rasband , too, and is a fantastic imaging library easy to use (with many examples only).

Using this lib with the Bio-Formats package you can open all kind of image formats:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/products/bio-formats

Note that these libs are coming from microscopy imaging but are used in very different domains!

If you would like to open geospatial or GIS formats then I think you should use the GeoTools libs:

http://www.geotools.org/.

There is also a Java JNI lib available for the GDAL library which is the Swiss Army tool for geospatial raster or vector formats (integrated in almost all GIS tools):

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInJava

Anothermulti pupose image library actively! developed is the Apache Commons Imaging lib:

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/

Some other links to free or proprietary libs can be found on the ImageJ website:

http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/links.html

However checkout the ImageJ libs. You will be surprised what you can do with it:

http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/docs/guide/146.html

Best regards

Marcel

Back to the top