Re: [science-iwg] New viz project follow up

Hello Jay,

The DAWNSci stuff does much with 1D, 2D and 3D plotting and in fact nD slicing, primarily by creating facades to existing technologies but also image and surface plotting we have developed. Plotting something and interacting with it in order to do numerical things, for example select a region of data for integration or fit a peak (etc. x1000) is one of our goals.

Therefore we have an interest in the plotting project and are happy to support it and become involved. Concretely we propose the interface IPlottingSystem as a way of encapsulating plotting parts. This is a swappable plotting system which allows different plotting technologies to be linked in by extension point. There is a tutorial which I have submitted Eclipse con France and encourage people with time to work through and provide feedback. It shows how the interface works and provides numerous examples.

I think that the visualization, in order to be useful to science, must tie into a well-defined data description, we propose a class called IDataset which correlates well with the numpy array class called ‘ndarray’, see here for a class which compares IDataset with numpy. IDataset passes to/from python using the AnalysisRPC project completed for us by Kichwa coders.

So the vision I am selling is a plotting API backed by IDataset such that arbitrary mathematics and therefore science can be completed by the group and algorithms can be shared without linking plotting to data source. It is one that links elegantly with the python layer such that existing mathematics and scripting can be utilized here.

Sincerely,

Matt Gerring