Re: [science-iwg] project proposals

Well you know I do Erwin

From: science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jay Jay Billings
Sent: 21 April 2015 15:11
To: Science Industry Working Group
Subject: Re: [science-iwg] project proposals

Erwin,

Absolutely! You should speak with Andrew Ross as soon as possible.

Very excited,
Jay

On Apr 21, 2015 8:54 AM, "Erwin de Ley" <erwin.de.ley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

I would like to propose 2 new projects :
- a set of APIs and impls in the domain of HPC, computing grids etc
- a move of our Passerelle process engine from eclipselabs to a formal eclipse project

Would this be of interest for science IWG? If so, read on ;-)...
Any feedback is of course welcome!

kind regards,
erwin

More info :
=========

1. in the HPC domain :
- APIs and impls for accessing computing grids (cfr DRMAA, SGE, SLURM, ...)
- other clustering-related tools
- memory grids
- etc

This would contain an initial code drop from the DAWN repos at github with just the DRMAA and SGE grid access.
Matt Gerring (DAWN lead) supports this move.

In the near future we would be extending this to a DRMAA-implementation for SLURM.
Another next task is upgrading from DRMAA v1 to v2.
Other topics are less/not concrete right now, and would depend on requests from science IWG or from additional committers.

Open questions :
- What would be a good name? Can we claim a generic name like "science HPC" or so? (and then hope that there's sufficient participation to enlarge the scope to other HPC-related tools)
- Where to put this? Is this a sufficient scope for a new eclipse project? Or should it be a component of a parent project?
- I guess this would become a technology project?

2. a move of our Passerelle workflow engine&workbench from the current eclipselabs@Google hosting to a formal eclipse project
The initial code drop would include a minimized Passerelle core, built on top of a new OSGi-ified version of Ptolemy (the underlying actor-based hybrid modeling software of UC Berkeley)
(Ptolemy is and would remain hosted by UC Berkeley, so their sources would not move to eclipse)

The current GEF-based Passerelle model editor would no longer be maintained, and would be replaced by an EMF&Graphiti-based one that would become the future Ptolemy model editor.
(i.e. the editor would no longer be specific for Passerelle)

For the longer term we would be extending Passerelle towards the needs for "reproducible science" (cfr http://www.reproduciblescience.org).

Open questions/issues :
- as Passerelle is the basis for our production software, with frequent releases, we can't be blocked for too long in an incubation phase (which seems to prevent formal releases).
- would this be a technology or a tools project?

--

Met vriendelijke groeten - Bien à vous - Kind regards

Erwin De Ley

Tel. +32 9 335 22 10
fax: +32 9 335 22 19
erwin.de.ley@xxxxxxxxxx