Re: [rt-pmc] Runtime platforms on the eclipse download page

Hi Jesse,

On 6/24/2016 5:21 AM, Jesse McConnell wrote:
mercy, hasn't this become a fun thread...thought I as the malcontent :P

I don't think you are the malcontent Jesse.

Scott, sorry I am traveling so intermittently able to reply, but my point about what the purpose of the page was that if it is about discovery of _any_ technology (osgi, whatever) that happens to be under Eclipse runtime then it absolutely should be expanded in its scope.

I think this thought gets at one of the major problems with RT group and by extension the Foundation. It's *ostensibly* about discovery of Runtime technologies. But it's not about discovery of RT technologies, it's rather about marketing projects that Ian (or someone(s) behind him) judges 'worthy' of promotion. And how is that judgment made? Well, best not to ask.

If it is to showcase a small handful of successful projects then that another matter and up to Eclipse Foundation discretion since they are bankrolling the effort here.

I don't buy the 'bankrolling the effort' argument about discretion...aka control...here at all. *WE* (projects/committer) are bankrolling the real effort (see Neon). Just because we (sadly) don't hold any of the marketing purse strings...and the control that is purchased by it...doesn't mean that's not true. The large and seemingly ever-growing disconnect between the projects/committers and the people that do hold the EF purse strings is a critical defect in this system.

WRT your comments about the Runtime group: I can honestly and accurately say as a long-time project lead that I've *never* gotten anything helpful from the Runtime group pmc (or by extension the EF). Lots of rules, extra work that is unfunded/unsupported (always by committer sweat equity), plenty of arguments where nothing is done/changed, plenty of 'Board decisions', or 'write your committer Board rep', but nothing actually helpful to my project. Wait...that's wrong. ECF has gotten a lot from the other EF projects...we use/depend upon OSGi framework impls (Equinox, Concierge, Felix), Eclipse depends upon ECF and we contribute RS tooling to Eclipse, we use other project's frameworks (Jetty, Paho, Orbit, Apache, plenty of others), and the committers have been generally wonderful with technical support in their respective areas (Thomas, Jesse, David, lots of other committers). But my question is: what does any of this collaboration value provided by the RT, IoT, Eclipse, Technology, Tools, EMF committers have to do with the rt-pmc or EF other than IT? I don't see it.

Scott

Back to the top