[rt-pmc] RT symposium abstract

RT PMCers ,

We have arranged to have a symposium at the Eclipse Summit Europe in Nov. Below is an abstract that I whipped together. Can you review this and see what you think. I am purposely leaving the topic areas open so that we can see who signs up. That may be a bad choice. Perhaps we want to prescribe some directions? What do you think? What directions?
Also, are there any other volunteers to help organize this event?

Note that I apologize for the short notice but we have to get this in place very soon (i.e tomorrow ideally, by the end of the week at the latest)

Jeff

RT Symposium

DESCRIPTION

Eclipse is rapidly expanding into the runtime space. Equinox, RCP, RAP, ECF, Swordfish, EclipseLink, eRCP and a host of other projects at Eclipse produce function that is specifically targetted at runtime scenarios. Projects such as BIRT and EMF that have traditionally seen somehow as "tooling" actually have quite extensive runtime use-cases and facilities.

The runtime movement is in part a recognition that Equinox and OSGi can do for the runtime space what it did for the tooling space -- form a sound footing for the creation of comprehensive platforms. These platforms are not distinguished by client and server, desktop and embedded, rich UI and headless. Rather they are linked by a common programming model (bundles, services, extensions, ...) and a common runtime (Equinox).

The symposium will arranged in as a series of focus groups with moderated discussion and tangible output. The actual topic areas will be determined by the participants according to their interest areas.

PARTICIPATION

In order to participate in this symposium, please submit a position
paper (minimum two pages, maximum ten pages) that raises an issue,
describes a problem or sketches a solution that should be discussed at
the symposium. Submissions should be licensed under the EPL.

IMPORTANT DATES

Initial Paper Submission: September 25, 2008
Acceptance Notification: October 15, 2008
Symposium: November 18, 2008

ORGANIZERS

Jeff McAffer, Code 9
<more here>