Re: [recommenders-dev] [GSoC] News weekly report for 11 June

Hello Marcel,

1. There's no reason at all why the menu shows only 3 elements - we can limit it up to 20.
2. I can use an asterisk to indicate new messages, however I'm not sure if I can use font styling like bold font or italic font - found no option in API for something like that, nor I haven't seen any bold entry in Eclipses menus.
For the icons - I need to find some workaround, because Keppler build fails because of it. Secondly RSS/other feeds are supposed to have its own icons so we got to choose whether we want to indicate new message by the icon, use feeds icons or indicate new message with the icons and when there aren't any new messages use feeds icons if possible.

Thanks for your feedback,
Regards Pawel

Hey Pawel,

it’s great to see the progress. A few comments to the menus:

Putting an ‘!’ as prefix in the feed’s name looks uncommon to me. Usually, readers indicate new elements using bold or italic fonts and / or an asterisk at the end - maybe in braces: Some Content or Some Content or Some Content * or Some Content (*)

In the menu I’d use the same “this is new" indication: I’d put an asterisk at the end or mark new entries with an asterisk. This looks much more consistent.

I think using an icon in front may be an interesting alternative - but only if every element gets one. I don’t like the tick to indicate that an article was already read that much because it visually makes them stand out - but actually those that were *not yet read* should stand out :-)

Is there a reason why the menus only show 3 elements? I think they should show all available elements (maybe with a max of 20). Three is too limiting IMHO.

Questions:
Can you use bold fonts or colors in the menus? If so, I’d use this instead (but this may not work)
Think about it whether asterisks are better than using an exclamation mark or ticks.

Best,
Marcel