Re: [recommenders-dev] Snipmatch

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply. We actually do not wish to participate in GSoC and we do not need an evaluation letter either. But we would certainly be glad to have a mentor to work under.

What we are planning to do is re-design the tool (Snipmatch) so as to make it more extensible. We were looking into the code a few days back and realized that the code is not easily extensible and lack of documentation is going to make it more difficult to add features to it. So we thought instead of making changes to the current code we would like to come up with a new design that is easily extensible and provides many more features. As the existing code base is not so huge we think re-implementing the tool is going to be as time consuming as understanding the code and extending it.

We will be doing this as a part of our Software Engineering Lab. But we would like to contribute the outcome to the Code Recommender's Community. We have already proposed the project (I am attaching the project proposal with the mail) and got it approved. What we wanted to know is if this is going to be helpful to the Code Recommender's Community.

We are aware of the fact that this has been put up as a GSoC project and hence you may be concerned about the fact that if we and some other student (through GSoC) takes it up simultaneously then we may end up doing the same thing twice. But as we would be done with our work by the end of April and GSoC starts only at the start of May the other student can continue with the code that we would have written by then. This is our first experience in a professional environment but we are very enthusiastic about the project and will definitely try our best.

Thanks again for your time,
Kartik

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> We are a group of five students who are planning to work on the project
> stated on GSoC 2014 site for Snipmatch Sharing Infrastructure. as a part
> of our Software Engineering Lab. We are planning to add all the features
> as stated in the project, that is to make the tool work across multiple
> repositories and provide a UI for the same. We would like to know if
> there are any specifics about the project which are not listed on the
> site or if there are any other extensions that the project team has in
> mind which we can include as a part of our project.
>
> We are glad for any help that we can get in setting up the scope of the
> project and we look forward to contribute to it.

sorry for the late reply. I must confess I am a bit confused: Do you
want to participate in the Google Summer of Code as a (5 person) team?
As far as I know, Google only allows a single student to work on a
single project proposal, so teams are ruled out. (But better check their
FAQ; I may misremember things.)

That being said, if you need an Open Source project that you can work on
as a team so that your local university awards you credit for it, Code
Recommenders is certainly open to your contributions and might also
write a short evaluation letter, should your university require one.

I would suggest picking one of our "helpwanted" bugs [1] and announcing
that you will go about fixing it on this mailing list. We can then
provide you with further details on the chosen task.

Hope this helps.

Andreas

[1]
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&f1=keywords&list_id=8580091&o1=allwords&product=Recommenders&product=Recommenders.Incubator&query_format=advanced&v1=helpwanted>

--
Codetrails UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
The knowledge transfer company

Robert-Bosch-Str. 7, 64293 Darmstadt