Re: [recommenders-dev] Eclipse Code Recommenders and m2e 1.5

Hi all,

>> 1.) Switch to plain org.eclipse.aether (not wrapped in
>> org.eclipse.m2e.maven.runtime)
>>
>> 2.) Maintain two fragments contributing implementations of ModelRepository
>
> Due to the breaking changes, I'd prefer 1.

Me as well, in particular as option 2 also requires code to be written
to support org.eclipse.aether. So the amount of code that needs to be
written is not much larger with option 1.

>> The downside is that we would need to
>> find alternatives to Wagon (Aether has "aether-transport-http") and
>> things like MavenXpp3Reader.
>
> What else? How much code would we have to implement ? M3 is close and we
> need a working version.

I had a look at this this evening. As far as I can tell, changes ought
to be rather small. What the pom.xml advisor needs is straight-forward
to implement with off-the-shelf XML parsers and Aether's Transport looks
very Wagon'y.

I'll have something working tomorrow.

>> Finally, there's the issue of whether we are allowed to depend on a a
>> 0.9 version of Aether when participating in the release train. (But
>> apparently m2e can.)
>
> Could m2e confirm that using an incubation project is allowed, I'd be fine.
> Otherwise I've to talk to the PMC. I'm only aware of this discussion [1]
> which is a bit different.

I'll ask explicitly on m2e-dev again.

Andreas

--