Re: [recommenders-dev] Usage Data Collection for Code Completion

Hi Marcel,

> To test this API in your Eclipse runtime you:
> 0. check out the repository at the given Gerrit location (the code is yet not in the official Eclipse Git repo).
> 1. set the target platform as described in the wiki.
> 2. set a breakpoint in org.eclipse.recommenders.internal.completion.rcp.RecommendersAllCompletionProposalProcessor.sessionStarted()
> 3. start an Eclipse runtime using the ide+exp.product file located in the etc/eclipse folder
> 4. disable all completion engines except the "Code Recommenders All" completion

That's a great short tutorial for my problem. Thank you for this response.
I'll test your Gerrit code in the next days.

What's about a Bugzilla entry for this topic? Make it sense?

Regards,
Timur

2013/2/25 Marcel Bruch <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Timur,

> Some informations about me:
> I'm from Germany and study at the OHM-Hochschule Nuremberg, wirte at the moment my Master Thesis.
> I have experience in Eclipse, Java, SWT, JFace, SWTBot, RCP and Eclipse plugin development.

a quite impressive list of technologies you are familiar with. I hope we get you up quickly.

> I have checked out the code and studied it a little bit,
> can someone tell me at which place of code I have to inject my data collection analysis?
> Exist for this topic a bug entry? I haven't found an entry, if none exist, I would open a new one.

Extending JDT's code completion is tricky. Previously I drafted a trackable completion engine API that allows to manipulate the relevance, the display strings, and prefix matching of JDT's proposals. It seems to me that this experimental candidate may become handy now for tracking user behavior.

Please check out the comment of this Gerrit commit [1] to find some hints about this experimental API.

To test this API in your Eclipse runtime you:

0. check out the repository at the given Gerrit location (the code is yet not in the official Eclipse Git repo).
1. set the target platform as described in the wiki.
2. set a breakpoint in org.eclipse.recommenders.internal.completion.rcp.RecommendersAllCompletionProposalProcessor.sessionStarted()
3. start an Eclipse runtime using the ide+exp.product file located in the etc/eclipse folder
4. disable all completion engines except the "Code Recommenders All" completion

When you trigger code completion you should stop at the breakpoint set in #2.

Let me know whether these brief statements make sense - read: let me know if you have trouble.

Best,
Marcel

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/10611/

--
Codetrails.com – The knowledge transfer company