Re: [recommenders-dev] Google Summer of Code 2013

Hello Timur,

> I have seen some cool projects on the ideas page [1],
> and I’m very interesting on this project: Usage Data Collection for Code
> Completion and Beyond
>
> I think that’s a great idea and every developer want this informations,
> because the code completion is one of the key features from an IDE.
> I work every day with Eclipse and I want an answer to this question: How
> much time saves code completion each day?

we are ourselves still at the brainstorming stage. But here are a few
questions you might want to ponder:

- Can we find out how often/long a programmer reads the JavaDoc tooltips
that pop up for a method in code completion?

- If Code Recommenders intelligent ranking moves a method from position
42 to position 1 *and* the programmer selects it, how much time does
this safe the programmer? (It's not just hitting "Arrow Down" 41
times...we also safe time skimming JavaDocs, for example)

- Can we measure how much time is spend navigating through menus rather
than using a keyboard shortcut?

Best wishes,

Andreas
--
Codetrails.com - the knowledge transfer company

Back to the top