[recommenders-dev] Git commit message guidelines

Hi,

recently I've seen some commit messages in Gerrit like:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
With enforced line breakings in Gerrit and cut off messages in git log views.
For example, if you take a look at the change overview in Gerrit 'project:recommenders/org.eclipse.recommenders status:open' and the first line of a commit message is too long, it will be cut off and the sense of this overview is lost since you have no idea what this change will do :/

So, I'd like to remind you there are common guidelines for git commit messages, also documented for eclipse contributors, see

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#Commit_message_guidelines
http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html

You'll find there also nice examples for the right formatting of a git commit message.
Furthermore EGit provides a great support in the commit view for this issue too:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/1/11/Egit-1.0-commit-dialog.png
(Notice the grey line in the Commit Message dialog, its supposed to be you line delimiter. ;) )

So, if we stick to these guidelines, browsing Git/Gerrit history in the future will be much more comfortable :)

Thanks in future and best regards
Patrick Gottschaemmer

Back to the top