Re: [recommenders-dev] Draft of Recommenders Incubator Description

Thanks Marcel,

Three ideas for decreasing barriers to entry come immediately to mind:
1) Tutorials stepping through how to do many simple things - we often
thought to ourselves: there must be a bunch of people who know how to
to x, we're just not yet among them! I think IRC can help with this,
but often people will prefer tutorials. A set of say twelve covering
the basics from creating menu items and forms through integrating with
the editor would probably go a very long way (even though some of this
is covered on other sites).
2) A note on the website indicating that we're looking for new
projects and how to contact us. If I'd known how easy the process of
joining was (not that it was easy, but it wasn't too hard, and
everyone was very welcoming), I would have reached out even sooner.
3) This one is not particularly plausible, but I've had it in the back
of my head for a while now, so I'll share it: if we're really keen on
enticing more people to create plugins, at some point it might make
sense to make the plugin creation process much easier. For example,
looking to Chrome/Firefox extensions as a model. Starting with no
prior extension programming experience, I recently wrote a relatively
complex Chrome extension over a weekend.

I think you're already doing a fantastic job of spreading the word and
encouraging interest - these are very secondary to having someone like
you, vocal in the community and very approachable. I imagine that as
Recommenders get integrated into Eclipse awareness of the projects
will continue to increase and we'll have lots of additions to choose
between in the future.

Doug