Do you want us to take any special actions?

Best,
Marcel

On 29.03.2012, at 22:27, Chen Cheng wrote:

Hi Doug & Marcel,

It seems that GSoC's proposal ranking period will start soon. If more mentors are interested in a candidate proposal, this proposal will gain more chance to win. So, if possible, we can invite all committers in Code Recommenders to have a review of our proposal in Google Melange system[1], leave comments or score it.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2012/3/30
Subject: Re: [soc-dev] ranking of proposals
To: soc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

My preference is to use the built-in scoring system to rank proposals. We've had mixed results from it in the past. If we collectively decide that there's some problem with the results it produces, then we can collectively decide how to address it.

The ranking system works best if all mentors review and score all proposals. However, this is generally not reasonable, so it's best if mentors review and score at least a few proposals (other than the ones that they themselves are directly interested in).

Students, it is *your* responsibility to make us want to review and score your proposals. The best way to do this is to spend a little extra effort on your proposals to make sure that they are sensible, reasonable, and generally easy to understand. If information is missing, but the proposal is otherwise sensible and reasonable, we'll ask for that extra information.

Mentors, feel free to ask your colleagues to join on as mentors and have a voice in how proposals get scored.

Thanks,

Wayne