[recommenders-dev] [DISCUSS] Solution about snipmatch's search result display module

Hi Marcel & Doug,

Zi, if you are listening, please let us know your idea. Doug told us you are the UI expert :-)

After the whole nignt's survey job, i think if we just use JDT's content assist and javaCompletionProposalComputer extend point to display the search result for SnipMatch, there are several problems (If there is anything wrong with my idea, let me know):

1. Where to input search key words?

Content assist does not supply a text input box etc for us to input search key word, Usually it will use current editor's context to get completion proposals. So if we just use JDT's content assist solution, how about always use *current line* in editor as search key for snipmatch ?

2. How to input the arguments for the search result?

I did not found any extend point to add this step for JDT's content assist. I think may be we can just use some dummy arguments, once user press ENTER, insert the code snippet with dummy arguments into the editor. User can change the arguments in the editor.

3. When i select candidate search result items by UP and DOWN key, should the content in Java editor change ?

In my experience, all the editors(such as Java, HTML, XML editors) does not have this *real time* change feature. They just insert the target codes into the editor after you press ENTER. Before that, they will not insert the candidate codes into the editor and change along with your selection change. Maybe i ma wrong, if you guys have good solution, please tell me.

--
Best Regards From Cheng Chen [chengchendoc@xxxxxxxxx]

Back to the top