Re: [recommenders-dev] Snipmatch GSOC was: How to start with Recommender's source code

Hi ,

In SnipMatch, data format for snippets is not so important, we just need a simple format to store some data columns. The simpler the better, and there are also some simple tools can help us transfer JSON and class instance for us, it is enough.

EMF is a fantastic technology, but i do not think it has greater advantage in our scenario here. In fact, if we use EMF here, we will also store EMF's persist instance in local file system, it is also a XML format data file. So, problem will be JSON or XML, we jump to the beginning again

2012/2/22 Marcel Bruch <bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Sascha!

On 22.02.2012, at 10:25, Sascha Vogt wrote:

> sorry for the late response to that, and maybe it's superfluous now, but
> I thought I post it anyway.

^^

>> [...]
> Have you ever thought about using EMF as your model format?

No, (I) didn't.  But at the moment I saw your mail...
Thanks for bringing this up.

> I played
> with it a few months ago, especially for distributed models using CDO
> and I was quite impressed.
[snip]

I've seen a few (impressive) demos on that but I had no time to take a closer look on it.

A few questions that come into mind - maybe you have a few answers to them?

How mature is CDO?
Would it scale for potentially millions of users?
How much network traffic does it cause to synchronize a local repository with a remote one?
Does it allow to persist data locally?

I can imagine that this could work out well in a in-house scenario where everyone can interactively change/update snippets. It would actually be pretty cool I think. But I've concerns basing the implementation of Snipmatch on top of CDO - because I'm not an expert in this area.

Cheng, Sascha,
how about encapsulating the storage backend to enable later exchange?

Sascha,
are you seeking for spare-time hobby to train your CDO knowledge?

[CDO/EMf based in-house template stores... I like that idea...]