[recommenders-dev] Ask for suggestions on better implementation solutions

Hi,

My name is Cheng Zhang, a student who is fascinated by this interesting
project, Eclipse Recommenders.

Inspired by Eclipse Recommenders and Marcel's FSE' 09 paper, my lab
mates and I have been developing an argument guessing tool which tries
to provide more sophisticated actual parameters/arguments for selected
API methods (if they need some arguments). But due to our limited knowledge
of Eclipse plug-in development, the current implementation is not standard,
that is, we directly modified the source code of JDT, instead of using some
extension points.

More specifically, we focus on the org.eclipse.jdt.ui project, which provides
the default parameter recommendations. We find out that
ParameterGuessingProposal extends JavaCompletionProposal, which
represents the best guess completion for each parameter of a method,
in org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java package. Our modifications of default JDT
project are all limited in this class.

The only method we have changed is guessParameters(char[][] parameterNames)
in which JDT gets all the accessible local variables, selects and ranks them and
shows them to end users. Here we just call our recommendation engine, and
combine our results with default recommendations, before JDT returning these
to users. The context information which JDT has already prepared is enough for
us to perform our recommendations.

Would you please give me some suggestions on better implementation solutions?
I think our current solution is non-standard, uneasy to install, and thus probably
unacceptable for serious users.

Thanks,
Cheng

Back to the top