[recommenders-dev] new extdoc provider: example snippets & local code search prototype

Hi,

I happy to announce that Tobias' and my joint work on code search start producing promising results. Tobias has written a pretty fast code indexer that indexes lots of information about classes, methods, and even individual object usages.

He has also wrote a new query view based on Xtext and Lucene QL to query the index. The nice details about it: It even has code completion support for type and method names! It's fun to wrork with it - although the field names and handling probably need further polishing :) I'm looking forward to the upcoming new Query Languages Tobias has in mind...

Based on Tobias indexing, I wrote a bit infrastructure around it, to make it work smoothly with Eclipse in terms of memory consumption, lazy loading etc. I also added a new extdoc "example code snippets" provider on top of this infrastructure as proof of concept - and I've to admit that I start using is frequently already :)

If you have some spare time and like to give it a spin, the plug-ins can be installed from

The sources are hosted at eclipselabs:

Xtext Runtime and Code Recommenders plug-ins are required for installation but can be downloaded from Indigo update site and our head update site respectively.

One of the next steps will be to integrate Kristijan's Code Summarization plug-in into this prototype.
If you have any comments on this prototype, let Tobias and me know :)

Best,
Marcel

Back to the top