[platform-vision] Face-to-face meeting at EclipseCon

Greetings all.

I'm sorry that I will not attend the meeting. Family issues have kept me grounded for the last few weeks.

Meeting location:

--
Where: FMZ (Conference Room 3)
When: Wednesday 10/29 from 13:00 – 16:00

I will be online at the start of the meeting. If somebody can Skype me in, that would be great (waynebeaton). I'm up for alternatives, so feel free to make a suggestion. I am assuming that the connection will be spotty and it will otherwise be difficult for me to hear all of the conversation.

Dani and John have volunteered to run things. Don't worry too much about me, I'll pick up what I can and rely on minutes to work through any outstanding issues.

The agenda is pretty straightforward.

1) Review/revise/approve the vision statement.
2) Hammer out a go-forward strategy
3) Marketing messages

The vision statement that we have currently is this:

--
Cloud-based development is becoming a reality, but thirty years of investment is desktop tooling means that it will remain a significant part of developers' solutions for the foreseeable future.

Our vision is to build leading desktop and cloud-based development solutions, but more importantly to offer a seamless development experience across them. Our goal is to ensure that developers will have the ability to build, deploy, and manage their assets using the device, location and platform best suited for the job at hand. To deliver this vision will require new micro-service based architecture.

In the shorter term, the Eclipse platform and related projects needs additional focus and resources on meeting the expectations of Java developers in particular. Quality, performance, out-of-the-box experience, Maven and Gradle support, and close affiliation with new Java releases are all part of the solution.
--

For strategy, I suggest setting up goals that align with the simultaneous release. My hope is to get
participating projects to integrate the strategy into their own project plans.

Strawman:

For Mars, focus the desktop on the user experience for Java developers in particular.

We already have work going on in improving quality (the stack trace reporter) and performance (the Platform team is getting performance testing back into the build). There is also some work going on to improve the installation experience (e.g. getting Eclipse into the Fedora repos). I am also hopeful that we might be able to do something with a native installer for Windows. Oomph also figures prominently in the install story.

With Mars, we will also establish ourselves in the realm of cloud development.

More generally, we'll need to put effort into re-establishing the coolness factor of desktop Eclipse and encourage/recruit organizations/developers to help with areas like Maven and Gradle support.

For N, the focus is on the seamless development experience across desktop and cloud environments. Che should be real by that point and we should have some idea of what we'll need to do to make this happen.

We may need something in this timeframe regarding the identification of JDT functionality that might be refactored to support a distributed development environment. I think that we need to avoid being too specific as there is still a lot of experimenting to do in order to determine what we need to do here (if anything). In the previous meeting minutes, we discussed the notion of a workspace in the cloud and different scenarios that might apply.

The installer story should be better after two years. We should throw a Mac installer into the mix.

Start building up the ecosystem around Che.

I'm really not sure what to focus on for O. Maybe the seamless experience can be factored. Certainly, everything that we've focused on in previous years should be solid after three years. It would be cool if we had one or more projects providing Che extensions/microservices.

Thoughts?

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton