[platform-vision] Call today, meeting minutes

Greetings all.

Let this serve as your gentle reminder that we have a call scheduled today at 12 EDT (noon).

North America 1-866-569-4992
Germany 49-692-2224-6059
France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
UK 0800-033-7806
Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
Sweden 46-85-063-8386
Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Then enter the participant conference extension: 430, then enter pin 4718
Alternatively, SIP clients can call 430@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, then enter pin 4718

I may have some trouble getting to the call on time, so I've asked Dani to start the call if I'm late.

Here are my notes from the last call:

In attendance:

John Arthorne
Martin Lippert
Wayne Beaton

We need Oracle to join these calls. I've made a few inquiries, but haven't had any luck.

JavaFX Tooling needs to be part of the story.

Java 9 modularity will have an impact on the tooling.

Maven needs to be part of the story. Maybe we need to invite m2e representatives to this discussion.

Gradle is the "next big thing" in builds and needs to be part of this discussion. Aside: I spoke with Hans Docktor from GradleWare: They've taken over development of the Gradle plug-in built by SpringSource. They are at least interested in discussing making it an Eclipse project. We'll keep working on this.

We talked a lot about refactoring JDT to implement a microservices architecture. John related that making a compiler that works separate from the UI is very different from making other more interactive services provided by JDT separate from the UI.

Platform was the integration point. Much more fragmented world. Refactor Eclipse to fit into the polyglot tooling environment.

Make JDT usable in other ways. Plug into other editors. More flexible/integrate into other tools. e.g. Tomcat integrating ECJ. Interactive tooling is more challenging to pull apart.

Flux in three years:

1. Connections between cloud and desktop tools (sync, migration of projects, integrations)
2. Build cloud microservices

"Java Microservices": part of Flux, Che, Orion? Where?

Flux: build your language tools like this (an example)

Async integration. Build Ecosystem. Less coupled integration.

Move away from monolithic architecture.

Flux: message backbone; combine pieces.

No "IDE" projects. Web editors, navigation, backend, workspace, provisioning, language tooling.

Pick bits and pieces from "feature" projects.

"Give me the Cloud IDE" -> Flux + Orion + JDT

Running (hosting) a cloud IDE: not on EF hardware. Ecosystem provides the hosting. Potential partial hosting by EF of some microservices, e.g. core messaging or front ends.

Meeting at EclipseCon: afternoon meeting followed by drinks. Aside: I have a room assignment; I'll post it later

As usual, if I've misrepresented anything, please let me know.

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton
@waynebeaton