Re: [platform-ui-dev] maintained branches

Hi Jonah

master is for 4,9 and R4_8_maintenance is currently used for 4.8. After that, it can hold fixes post 4.8, but there won't be any official build for that (see below).

> Will there be (under normal circumstances) be a 4.8.1 release (and likewise a 4.9.1 release in the future)? Will the 4.8 branch get anything on it?
No. In the new world there won't be any service releases.

Dani

From:        Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07.06.2018 21:47
Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] maintained branches
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi folks,

While trying to get Kiran up to speed on building/editing Eclipse I cam across this in Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute:

Our currently active branches:

  • master - development towards the next release
  • R4_7_maintenance - fixes for 4.7.x/Oxygen service releases, no active development but sometimes we cherry pick patches from master to it

I understand the branch was just created, so a few things still need updating. I was about to just do it and change it to say:

Our currently active branches:

  • master - development towards the next release
  • R4_8_maintenance - fixes for 4.8.x/Photonservice releases, no active development but sometimes we cherry pick patches from master to it

But I didn't know if that was even true with the new release cadence. Will there be (under normal circumstances) be a 4.8.1 release (and likewise a 4.9.1 release in the future)? Will the 4.8 branch get anything on it?

Sorry if I have missed the info on this previously.

Thanks
Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham