Re: [platform-ui-dev] Performance of URL in ImageDescriptor

This is not specific to Eclipse platform. It's a general Java anti-pattern to use URL class for adresses if you aren't sure you'll use it for a connection.
"Linters" like SpotBugs or SonarLint help by reminding this rule whenever there is a questionable usage of URL.