Re: [platform-ui-dev] CDT feedback from students this semester

From: <platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM
To: "platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] CDT feedback from students this semester

* Eclipse is "project oriented" rather than "file oriented". To get the value of the IDE, one usually needs to import the project in workspace and may even need to configure it. For quick fixes, it's too much overhead.

In recent discussions, it has really hit me that this is one area where Eclipse has really failed the C/C++ community. I was always asked, “What’s a C++ project?” There is no correct answer to that. C++ developers don’t think of the systems they are working on as projects. It’s just a collection of code, that may sit in different points of their file system. And I’m sure many non-Java, and even some Java, developers think the same way. The Eclipse project oriented approach is the number one complaint from the CDT community and I’ve never had a real good answer why we were forced into that mould.

Doug.

Overall, there are many great reasons to prefer an editor over an IDE for some tasks, it's not really a place where Eclipse should compete IMHO.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top