Re: [platform-ui-dev] Question about use of Ctrl+Enter in UI

This seems like a reasonable convention to follow.

In my version of Outlook Express, the new message window has no OK button,
just Send etc. in the toolbar (which incidentally has Alt+S as an
accelerator as well).
It looks like a secondary window rather than a dialog.

If you're in an actual dialog with an OK button marked as the default,
using Shell.setDefaultButton(Button), it's unclear whether the default
button or the multiline text control will get the Enter key.
The "Windows User Experience" book seems to suggest that the default
button gets it (p. 213).
They recommend either not setting the OK button as the default in this
case, or temporarily unsetting it while the text has focus.
There is no mention of using Ctrl+Enter.

However, using Ctrl+Enter to activate the default button of a dialog would
be consistent with using Ctrl+Tab for traversal when the control takes
Tab.
Perhaps this is something SWT should support directly (I'm cc'ing the SWT
list).

You would have a conflict if anybody defined an accelerator for a menu
item using Ctrl+Enter.
The menu item would get it before you did.
But nobody currently does this in the SDK, and this would not be a
recommended accelerator.

(Also, note that Alt+Enter is commonly used for getting properties for an
element, and I'll be pushing to use this in more places.)

Nick

"James Moody/OTT/OTI" <James_Moody@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/05/01 09:57 AM