Re: [pdt-dev] Future of PDT development

Hi Jacek,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Jacek Pospychała <jacek.p@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Robert,

it's great to hear about your plans. We always enjoyed seeing new plugins for PDT as this confirms there's strong PHP community around Eclipse. I'm even more happy now to hear that there's more to come.

Where can I follow your current discussion to better understand what you're planning/doing? Why not discuss or even develop this pdt-extension platform directly in PDT?

right now there's a github group [1] with a wiki and a google group where our discussion is taking place [2]. Currently we're still in the planning phase. It would be great if the core features
could be discussed/developed directly with the PDT team.

From Zend pov, in the past the features that you mention were supposed to differentiate PDT and Zend Studio. Nowadays Zend Studio has gone in slightly different direction, and also more free alternatives popped up, so it's not argument any more. But simply moving features between products takes us time, risk of regressions and gives no short term benefits. So although there's consensus in Zend that we could contribute back to PDT, it's hard to actually find time for that.

I understand. What i see for some features though is that there will be (or already are) duplicate implementations (see [3] for a small list what i've come up with). So maybe we can coordinate
this so those features are at least somehow distinct for the end-user in the menu structure (e.g. getter/setter generator or the new class wizard).

It would be optimal imho if we could merge some of this stuff in the future as the current situation leads to unnecessary workload on both sides ;)

In short term, until October we're very busy with next Zend Studio, but as part of that we want to get formatter better (bug 320130) and improve debugger. After that, we'll be more into bug fixing and planning next year, it'll be also good time to give more love to PDT. By the end of the year we're also migrating PDT to Git and probably change it's build system.

That sounds great! Our short term goal is to provide a common p2 repository for all existing pdt extensions and figure out which parts of our plugins can be refactored into a more abstracted codebase.

The overall plan can be found on the wiki i've linked below.

Does this answer your questions?

Absolutely ;)

regards

-robert