[pdt-dev] Expanding PDT for personal needs

Here at work, everyone uses PDT, but there are some features that would help us greatly which shouldn't be too hard for one of us to code up, I think so I'll just throw the idea out here. I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask these questions. These are all custom modifications for use in the office and our common framework of PHP code.

1) Language files
We all use .ini files to store our localised strings. It would be great if I could throw in a custom parser that would pick up the usage of our translate function, and allow us to auto-complete the key that points to our localised string. I'm inspired by ADT (the Android SDK add on) where all string values are held in an XML file and you can reference and auto-complete the class R to get at IDs that point to string values. Very very useful.

2) Exception handling
I would find it useful to have a warning when method Foo::A() called method Foo::B() and in Foo::B(), an Exception may be thrown, but Foo::A() can't handle it. This obviously isn't perfect, since if Foo::C() called Foo::A() AND handles the exception thrown by Foo::B(), it would not be possible to catch this.

But, this can also highlight potential problems with uncaught or otherwise unmanaged exceptions.

I'm not sure how much work any of this entails as I've never written or modified an eclipse plug in. What do you fine PDT folks think of this? Am I on a fools errand?

thanks,
--alex

Back to the top