From: pdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mike Milinkovich
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:15 AM
To: 'Doug Schaefer'; 'Tools PMC mailing list'; 'PDT Developers'
Cc: Andi Gutmans
Subject: RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [pdt-dev] Deskzilla license key for the PDT

Yes. Exactly :-)

Like I said, we (the EMO and Board) are working on a policy to clarify
this.

The line is somewhat fuzzy, but where it is currently drawn is along the
lines of tools which are used in the *shared* development process which
are
not broadly or generally available. Scarce availability to those tools
could
create an impediment to the involvement of contributors and/or new
committers in a project. So Windows XP, Outlook and Internet Explorer
are
not issues. One could easily assert that they are either (a) massively
available to most professional developers and/or (b) easily replaced
with
open source equivalents (Linux, Firefox, Thunderbird). In any case, the
those particular tools are not directly involved in the software
production
chain or process. The tools are more problematic are things like
proprietary
testing frameworks, issue tracking/management, code generation tools,
build
managers and the like. In scenarios where the team uses proprietary
tools of
those types in the production and release processes

I would encourage everyone with an opinion on this topics to make it
known
to the committer board reps so that your viewpoints can be duly
represented
in the board discussions.

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228