Re: [paho-dev] MQTT 3.1.1 support for Paho clients

Hi Ian,

I would definitely go with 3.1.1 as default connection. 3.1 should be
selected manually if needed (perhaps in the MQTTConnectOptions?
Introducing an enum would be great).

Well, this would of course break behaviour for existing applications
(and as of this writing, afaik most of the MQTT servers don't support
3.1.1 yet). What about bumping Paho to a new major release for that
breaking change to 3.1.1? So there would be two Paho version, one for
3.1 and one for 3.1.1. For the time most MQTT brokers don't support
3.1.1, the "older" major version of Paho could be the recommended one
and the "new" major version could be marked as experimental until 3.1.1
can be used with most MQTT brokers.

I know, these suggestions appear a bit radical, but I think otherwise
people won't go with 3.1.1, even in new projects.

Best,
Dominik