[p2-dev] Pack200 compression

As you may or may not be aware, Oracle has chosen to deprecate Pack200 in Java 11 and removal in a later version, citing maintenance as the reason.

I've taken the Pack200 implementation from Apache Harmony, which, at version 150.7, is somewhat behind the latest Pack200 standard version 170.1.

Unlike the Pack200 implementation in OpenJDK that written in C++, Harmony's is written in Java and uses ASM 3.1.

I have updated the library to ASM 6.2 and have started implementing later Pack200 standard features.

Some of these are relatively difficult to understand, such as the StackMapTable Attribute and other components are relatively easy to implement.

I've also started looking at the latest JVM 10 standard, and thinking about how to support bytecode features in that as well.

The code can be found here:

https://github.com/pfirmstone/pack200

I'd appreciate any help people can provide, since Pack200 is also important to p2, I'd also happily donate any additional code and participate in it's development here, if the p2 project see's value.

Regards,

Peter.

Back to the top