[p2-dev] "java.lang.IllegalStateException: The profile is currently in use."

Hi,

I’m currently working on a service that may start up to a few hundred headless instances of an Eclipse based application at the same time. It appears that there is a delicate part to this as I sometimes will have the application exiting with the message:
!MESSAGE ********************************
Severity: 4
Message: Error while running startup command '[Ljava.lang.String;@1a2e0d57': java.lang.IllegalStateException: The profile is currently in use.
Exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The profile is currently in use.
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.SimpleProfileRegistry.internalGetProfileStateProperties(SimpleProfileRegistry.java:1216)
I’m sorry I don’t have the entire stack trace. For some reason it’s not logged.
I assumed there is some reconciliation going on so I attempted to avoid this by issuing -Dorg.eclipse.update.reconcile=false, which did not help. I’ve also removed org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk.*-bundles to avoid automatic update checks etc.

It would be great if someone could explain to me what p2 attempts to do and how I can disable whatever checks that are going on.

Best regards,
Torkild U. Resheim

Back to the top