[p2-dev] Configuring dropins capability

Hi,

This is in relation with the question posted
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33594100/development-of-dropins-bundle-deployment-capability

I managed to configure the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins_<version>.jar bundle plus the other bundles required to run it, to auto-start when the WSO2 Carbon kernel starts. The start levels for the bundles I am using are the same as that of Eclipse IDE's bundles.info file. But still I find that the dropins capability is not executed.

When I debug I find that the org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.manipulator_<version>.jar bundle's methods which execute during the functioning of the Eclipse IDE's dropins capability execution does not get called. Initially before this attempt to integrate Equinox P2's dropins capability, we have had an implementation of our own which reads in the bundles of the default dropins folder specified by us and updates the bundles.info file.

https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/tree/5.0.x/launcher/src/main/java/org/wso2/carbon/launcher/extensions

Further, I find that the org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator and org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins bundles' methods get called and the required functions are performed as in Eclipse IDE. The dropins directory I have specified for test purpose is watched, as well.

The following are the bundles I have added so far to plugins in order to get P2's dropins capability, for test purposes:

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.directorywatcher_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.extensionlocation_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.garbagecollector_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.jarprocessor_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.eclipse_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository_<version>.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.eclipse_<version>.jar

Is there a configuration we need to setup in order to instruct the usage of org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.manipulator bundle in our project after configuring it to auto-start at the server startup
or
is it sufficient to simply add the above bundles required for it to start, to plugins and auto-start them in order to use the P2's dropins capability?

I would be really grateful to anyone who could provide me a solution for this issue as I have been stuck in this for days.

Back to the top