Re: [p2-dev] Spoofing a profile

I don't think it is necessary to remove dropins and I don't see think  the two mechanisms as exclusive but rather complementary.

Codewise I just looked at the description of your patch (note the code) and I don't understand why you need to remove the profile from the installation. To me there will always be a minimal base that is immutable and can come with a profile.  Keeping this profile will allow you to keep the product id and features.

-----Original Message-----
From: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Krzysztof Daniel
Sent: November-22-13 12:48 PM
To: p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [p2-dev] Spoofing a profile

On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 16:12 +0000, Pascal Rapicault wrote:
> Hi,
Thanks for the answer!

> I think there are two ways to do this:
> 1) Have a profile generation bundle starts eagerly (before any p2
> related activity starts) and create the profile such that when the
> profile registry looks for the profile, it is already created
This is unavoidable anyway. Profile generation will be triggered by dropins reconciler and/or auto-update. On the other hand, corporate users will get an alternative, so may it would be good to disable those mechanisms when profile spoofing is active?

Something like https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/18686/? I completed this a second ago, and it looks like it works (well, at least it generates a profile in a profileless test).  There is plenty of work going to be done, and I will work on this next week (especially around invalidating profile on base change, and marking bundles as not modifiable by the user).

--
Krzysztof Daniel <kdaniel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat