Re: [p2-dev] URLs, URIs, and IDs (oh my)

Hi Ed,

Ed Merks wrote:
<stuff deleted>

URI uri = new URI("myscheme:blah");
ID fooID = IDFactory.createID("foo",uri);
ID barID = IDFactory.createID("bar",uri);
fooID.equals(barID) -> false
So serializing an ID would require serializing the namespace and the other part of the string...

Yes.

<stuff deleted>
I see... I could imagine someone having a model that wanted to serialize IDs and would need to do ID -> String -> ID mapping in order to achieve that goal. (Of course someone will want such a model, it goes without saying, but I thought I'd point out the obvious.)

Yes.  There is a method that we've provided on ID to aid such a model:

String ID.toExternalForm();

Scott

Back to the top