Re: [p2-dev] p2, authoring, and EMF?

Hi, Benjamin.
I'm interested in this topic, just had a backlog of mail after a long holiday weekend. ;-)

I didn't consider EMF in the original p2 UI work, primarily due to existing platform prereqs and having experience already with building platform UI constructs using the standard JFace layer.
That said, I had problems with the lower level async retrieval/filtering/checkbox implementations and we are looking at data binding to see if it can help. (See bug #233269).

As far as the end user interaction with p2 goes,I've never been driven to look at something like EMF because there is not a lot of exposure of the underlying model to the user. I think it's a more natural fit in tooling where the user is creating/manipulating the model objects directly.

If parts of EMF end up in the core e4 workbench model, it might be natural to move in that direction in the e4 space.
Your experience also interests me when thinking about which parts of the p2 UI code might become API. I've always thought that larger building blocks (the ability to show installed and available views anywhere in an app's UI) are more important than providing lots of API for smaller units of reuse like our label or content providers. Your experience suggests that it might be prudent to avoid introducing much low-level p2 UI API until some of the larger issues surrounding e4, EMF, workbench model, etc. are fleshed out.

I can't really speak for the core part of p2 and don't have the EMF experience to know what it would mean to make the engine "directly available as an EMF API" but I'm interested in that discussion.

susan
Inactive hide details for Benjamin CABÉ <benjamin.cabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Benjamin CABÉ <benjamin.cabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          Benjamin CABÉ <benjamin.cabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          09/04/2008 02:06 AM
          Please respond to P2 developer discussions