RE: [p2-dev] updating a profile

The simplest way to think of it is like a garbage collector.  The set of IUs that are explicitly installed are "roots". Adding or removing IUs in a provisioning plan will cause those IUs to be added or removed from the root set.  The planner then computes the transitive set of IUs to be installed from that root set based on the IU's required capabilities. Removing a root may cause only that single IU to be removed, or it may cause a whole set of IUs to no longer be reachable and therefore uninstalled.  You were seeing that behaviour because you were marking all IUs as "roots". You would typically only install groups (i.e., features), or perhaps only a single group that transitively includes other groups, and allow the downstream IUs to be discovered and installed by the planner.

John

"Haigermoser, Helmut" <Helmut.Haigermoser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: p2-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/06/2008 04:52 AM

Please respond to

"P2 developer discussions" <p2-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [p2-dev] updating a profile

Ciao Simon :)
Ah, that's the problem then, I was not aware of a special treatment of
IUs that only get installed for satisfaction of others,
my test case installs all IUs of a Repo, changing that to installing
only group-Ius made things work even without introducing the singleton
flag! :)

I'm still interested in that flag as we seem to be able to make a
fundamental statement like "we only support a single version of an IU in
our profile" using it...

Thanks for all the help guys,
Ciao, hh