[orion-dev] Client side integration options

Suppose I have a browser-based Web debugger: how can I use Orion to edit source based on links available in the browser?

Based on what I have been able to discover so far, Orion serves from the file system, rewriting the base of the file name with an http url. So for example,

http://localhost:8080/coding.html#http://localhost:8080/file/A/content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js

opens

file:///C:/jjb/eclipse/fbugWorkspace/fbug/branches/firebug1.7/content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js

which is known to the debugger as

chrome://firebug/content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js

So one path is have a URL rewriter on the debugger side, that break off the browser's base URL and prefixes Orion's:

chrome://firebug/content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js ->
chrome://firebug/       content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js ->
chrome://firebug/       content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js ->
http://localhost:8080/coding.html#http://localhost:8080/file/A/ content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js -> http://localhost:8080/coding.html#http://localhost:8080/file/A/content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js

While quite general and flexible, it means devs have to reconfigure for every Orion project.

Another path is to attach an editor URL to served files. That's a fine solution in the long run, but it means getting servers to agree.

Another could be a top-level Orion URL for looking up files, eg
http://localhost:8080/findFile?path=content/firebug/external/changewebeditor.js&;

Other ideas?

jjb

Back to the top